Building Services

Council's Building unit is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2006.  In the interest of public health and safety, and to maintain the integrity of private and individual investments, a building permit may be required before construction commences.  We provide:

  • Building permit and inspection services for all classes of buildings.
  • Report and consent applications and assessments.
  • Owner Builder Reports

For answers to a range of frequently asked questions relating to building please see our FAQ page

 For fees and charges, click here

Building Permit

Building permits are the documents that signify that a building surveyor has approved building work prior to its commencement. The Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006 legislate that most building work is subject to the issuing of a building permit. This includes most alterations, demolitions and removals. Read more

Swimming Pools and Spas and Safety Fencing Requirements

Building Permits are required for all swimming pools and spas that have a depth greater than 300mm and are required to have safety barriers complying with AS1926 Parts 1 and 2 - 2007. Read more


At some point in our lives, most of us have had the chance to experience the renovation world. Read more

Becoming an Owner Builder

An owner-builder is defined as a person who constructs or renovates a domestic building on his or her own land, who is not in the business of building. Read more

Termite Management in Buildings

Rural City of Wangaratta is a designated termite prone area under Regulation 803 of the Building Regulations 2006. Read more

Demolition Works

Prior to the demolition of any building you must obtain a demolitions permit. Read more

Essential Safety Measures Maintenance

Owners of building classes 2-9 (multi-storey, dwelling units, motels, guest house, offices, shops, warehouses, factories, hospitals, public buildings and schools) are required to maintain all essential safety measures that are installed in a building. Read more

Bushfire Construction Requirements 2009

All proposed building work throughout Victoria to any Class 1, 2, 3 or associated Class 10a building is required to address the requirements of AS3959 – 2009 Construction of Buildings in Bushfire Prone Areas. Read more

Rooming Houses

Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 a rooming house is a building where one or more rooms is available for rent, the total number of people who may occupy those rooms is four or more, residents rent a room and may share communal facilities such as bathrooms and toilets and different rental agreements can exist for different residents. Read more

Building FAQ's

Building frequently asked questions Read more