The Rural City of Wangaratta is actively ensuring that personal information provided to Council is managed in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
The information privacy guidelines that Council abides by include:
- Council will not collect personal information from an individual or organisation unless it is necessary.
- Council will only collect personal information in a lawful way and will not be unreasonably intrusive during collection.
- Any person who provides personal information to Council about himself or herself is able to gain access to that information upon written request.
- All personal information is collected solely for purposes specified by the Council Representative at the time of collection. If personal information is required for a function not directly connected to the initial reason for collection and the individual would be able to be identified by the provision of the personal information, then permission from the individual will be sought prior to disclosure unless the Act stipulates otherwise.
Council will only allow access to the information by relevant staff and Third Parties that require the information to effectively complete functions on Council's behalf. When access is granted to a Third Party, they will be bound by the requirements of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
- If there are any laws that require the collection of personal information, these will be made known to the individual at the time of collection.
- There may be instances where a product or service cannot be provided without collecting certain pieces of personal information. This will be explained to the individual at the time of collection.
Council has adopted a policy on Information Privacy. A copy of the policy can be obtained from Council's Customer Services team by contacting (03) 5722 0888 or visit the Wangaratta Government Centre, Cnr Ford and Ovens Streets, Wangaratta.
If you require further specific information, please refer written requests to Council's Information Privacy Manager, Director - Corporate Services at the details above.
Last Updated: 08/01/2015