Property Valuations

Property Valuations

All homes and business premises in Victoria have been revalued as at 1 January 2016.

A valuation of all Victorian properties is carried out every two years.  Valuations are carried out using Valuation Best Practice Principles as set down by the State Government Valuer-General. Data on every property is recorded and used by the Rural City of Wangaratta Valuer with sales, rentals and other information to determine the valuations.

The revaluation is an assessment of all properties and their value.  It will not in itself raise the total income Council receives from rates, as the charges will be re-distributed based on the changes in each property's value.  As a result of the revaluation, some will pay more in rates; some will pay less, depending on the new value of their property.

The Rural City of Wangaratta rates are based on the Capital Improved Value. The Capital Improved Value is the total value of land plus all buildings and other improvements. The Site Value is the value of the land. The Net Annual Value represents the reasonable annual rental of the property.

Valuation Based Property Rates & Taxes

A property tax based on valuation reflects both a measure of the benefit of services to each property and the capacity of that property to bear the burden of sharing the community costs represented by the tax.

When all properties are revalued, changes in valuation do not in themselves signify corresponding changes in the rates payable.  The purpose of regular property revaluation is to maintain market relativity between properties so that rates can be equitably distributed.

The change in the valuation of an individual property from one valuation cycle to another needs to be compared with the change in the valuations of all the other properties before an indication of its effect on the rate can be ascertained.

Method of Valuation

To find the value of the property, the valuer must have a thorough knowledge of sales, rentals and statutory considerations laid down by valuation legislation.

Councils are required to be notified of sales of all properties and information on rentals and expenses is obtained from owners and tenants.  A valuer has statutory powers to enter onto any property "at any reasonable time" and may request any information which will assist to make a true and correct valuation.

Sales information is collated and analysed so that levels of values for different types of properties can be established.  Physical inspections are made of each property and appropriate levels of value applied.

In many cases internal property inspections may be necessary to provide sufficient information to ensure accurate valuations.

What if I Don't Agree with my Property Valuation?

As a ratepayer, it is important for you to consider the valuation on your rate notice and assess whether it reflects its true market value.  If you believe that the valuation is too low or too high, you should first speak to Council's Rates Administrator on (03) 5722 0838.

Right of Objection to Valuation

Ratepayers have the right under Section 16 of the Valuation of Land Act 1960 to object to the valuation applied to their property on one or more of the following grounds:

  • that the value assigned is too high or too low
  • that the interests held by various persons in the land have not been correctly apportioned
  • that the apportionment of the valuation is not correct
  • that lands which should be included in one valuation have been valued separately
  • that lands which should be valued separately have been included in one valuation
  • that the person named in the notice of valuation, assessment notice or other document is not liable to be so named
  • that the area, dimensions or description of the land, including the Australian Valuation Property Classification Codes allocated to the land are not correctly stated

An objection to a valuation does not negate the requirement of a ratepayer to pay rates that have been levied, by the due date.

Prescribed forms

  • 1. Objection Form Commercial Industrial
  • 2. Objection Form Residential
  • 3. Objection Form Rural

Please contact Council's Finance Unit (Rates Section) on (03) 5722 0838 to obtain a copy of the prescribed objection form.

Objection process 

Lodging an Objection:

  • Objections must be lodged on the prescribed form within two (2) months of the issue of the rate and valuation notice, in accordance with Section 18 of the Valuation of Land Act 1960.

Dealing with the Objection:

  • Once the objection has been lodged with the Council the matter is referred to the Council's valuer. The valuer "must provide a reasonable opportunity for the objector to discuss the matter with him or her" (S21(2) Valuation of Land Act 1960).

1.  Within 4 months after receiving the objection notice, the valuer has the option to:

 (a) Agree that an adjustment to the valuation is justified and provide a notice recommending an appropriate adjustment to the objector, the Council and the Valuer-General Victoria; or

 (b) Disagree with the objection, whereby no adjustment to the valuation is justified and the valuer provides a written notice of disallowance to the objector.

2. Following option (a) (the valuation is adjusted) the Valuer-General Victoria has 2 months after receiving this notice of recommendation to either agree or disagree with the adjustment to the valuation as recommended by the valuer.

3. If the Valuer-General agrees that the adjustment is justified, a confirmation notice is sent to all parties involved (all parties include the Council, objector, valuer and the State Revenue Office).

4. If the Valuer-General Victoria disagrees with the adjustment made, a notice of disallowance is sent to all parties.

5. Following option (b) (where the valuer rejects the objection and no adjustment to the valuation is justified), the objector and the Council are notified directly. No action from the Valuer-General Victoria is required.

6. Where the objector is dissatisfied with the outcome of (a) or (b), refer to the Valuation Appeals Process.

Valuation Appeals Process

The process for appeal is available where the objector is dissatisfied with the determination provided by the Council valuer or the Valuer-General or:

  • If 4 months has passed since lodging the objection with the Council and the Council's valuer has not acted
  • If 2 months has passed since a recommendation for adjustment has been referred to the Valuer-General and the Valuer-General has not confirmed or disallowed the adjustment of land value

If the objector would like to appeal in accordance with Section 22 Valuation of Land Act 1960, then the objector may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for review of the decision.  In accordance with Section 23 Valuation of Land Act 1960, the President of VCAT may initiate, or based on the application of a party, an appeal to the Supreme Court if the matter raises questions of unusual difficulty or of general importance.

For further information, to obtain a copy of the prescribed objection form and/or before lodging a valuation objection please contact Council's Finance Unit (Rates Section) on (03) 5722 0838.

What is a Supplementary Valuation?

Supplementary valuations are made during the rating year when there is a significant change to the valuation.  The most common causes for supplementary valuations are construction of a new dwelling or building, subdivision of a property or consolidation of properties. As a result of the supplementary valuation a rate notice will be issued to reflect any change in the rates.

Please discuss all valuation concerns with Council's Finance Unit (Rates Section) on (03) 5722 0838.


Last Updated: 03-07-2017

Send Us Your Feedback
Was this information useful?
Not Useful   Very Useful
  Please enter your email address.