The Rural City of Wangaratta was formed from the merger of the City of Wangaratta, the Shires of Oxley and Wangaratta and parts of the Shires of Beechworth, Benalla and Yarrawonga. Originally known as the Shire of Milawa when the municipality was created on 18 November 1994 it was renamed the Rural City of Wangaratta on 29 June 1995.
The Rural City of Wangaratta is "the Ultimate in Liveability"
We will provide the leadership necessary to:-
- Ensure the long term financial security of the Council
- Deliver quality Council services
- Facilitate a growing and sustainable economy and employment base
- Promote a cohesive, dynamic Rural City community
- Maintain open communication and consultation
- Preserve and enhance our heritage and the environment
We aim to achieve the highest standard in everything we do
We have confidence in the ability and commitment of others and ourselves
We see all people as being valuable, acknowledging individuality, opinions, needs and abilities
We foster an environment that encourages honest communication in all dealings
We treat all colleagues and customers fairly and consistently. We promote equality and ensure resources are allocated according to need
We promote a harmonious and productive workplace by celebrating achievement in an environment where everyone feels they belong